Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders and ideas. We invest patient capital in businesses whose products and services are enabling hundreds of millions of the poor to transform and improve their lives by providing them high-quality, affordable water, sanitation, healthcare, housing, energy, agriculture and education. We offer leadership programs that bring together the world’s best talent to focus their skills, capacity and moral imagination to solve the world’s toughest problems of poverty. And we invest in the spread of ideas to share what we are learning, in order change the way the world tackles poverty. We see each investment as a provocation, a chance to support entrepreneurs who dare to build solutions where markets have failed and traditional aid has fallen short.
- Founded in 2001, over $106 million invested in 96 companies Africa, Latin America, South Asia and the United States.
- A 100-person global team; offices in Colombia, Ghana, India, Kenya, Pakistan, UK & US.
- In 2015, named one of Fast Company’s Top 10 Most Innovative Not-for-Profit Companies.
- We’re equally serious about impact measurement and scaling companies. Our Lean Data approach helps our companies understand their customers; by doing so, they can speak with greater confidence about the impact they’re having and what it will take to meet their customer’s needs.
About the Opportunity
Acumen is looking for an innovative and experienced, fundraiser to join our Business Development team in San Francisco.
Your main focus will be engaging high net worth individuals in the tech and VC community. By working with your network and cultivating new prospects you will pitch new, creative ideas for partnerships and engagement.
You will connect the dots across our internal teams, molding new opportunities for us to engage with one another on external partnerships. You know who needs to be in the room to discuss partnership and donor opportunities, and can provide coaching and support to program teams who are not as comfortable in business development conversations.
Specifically, you will:
- Design and execute an engagement strategy for existing partner (donor) relationships.
- Develop pipeline of new prospects through referrals, research, and networking.
- Collaborate across teams to develop new ways to partner with donors.
- Maintain accurate and consistent records in Acumen’s CRM.
- Organize and execute networking events as necessary; leveraging Acumen’s existing partner community and helping develop content for sector-specific gatherings.
- Assist in the execution of partner-only events, bringing together internal and external stakeholders from across the globe.
Who Are We Looking For?
You are a/n...
- Experienced Fundraiser - While you might have 6+ years of overall professional experience, you bring 3-5 years of successful fundraising and relationship building.
- Mission-Aligned - You are fully committed to, and enthusiastic about, Acumen’s mission of tackling global poverty through utilizing innovative business models. You understand the nuances of this complex sector, with a specific interest in developing economies and impact investing. You also understand the context in which we are operating, and can effectively articulate Acumen to a successful VC, a PhD, and a 10-year-old.
- Natural Connector – You have developed a strong network by always looking for opportunities to provide value to others, creatively connecting people to resources and each other to help further their goals.
- Results-Driven Performer – You thrive when faced with the challenge of hitting specific goals and then given the room to creatively solve them. Your agility allows you to think on your feet and adjust quickly, while your tenacity and resilience drives you towards your goals.
- Effective Collaborator - You’ve successfully worked across cultural lines on a global team and you have the ability to operate independently in complex situations. You can easily gain trust from team members and are known for supporting them to ensure they are set them up for success.
BONUS if you are...
- Well Connected in Tech - You have your finger on the pulse of the tech industry and VC community. You’ve established a web of connections over the years and are not new to “the scene”. You’re eager to merge this network with the work of Acumen.
IS THIS RIGHT FOR YOU?
Please complete the following application. Rather than sharing a cover letter with us, please take your time to respond to our short answer question (copy in your answers from a separate document for best formatting).
The application is on a rolling basis; so we encourage you to submit yours soon!