Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders and ideas. We invest patient capital in businesses whose products and services are enabling the poor to transform their lives. Founded by Jacqueline Novogratz in 2001, Acumen has invested more than $101 million in 92 companies across Africa, Latin America, South Asia and the United States. We are also developing a global community of emerging leaders with the knowledge, skills and determination to create a more inclusive world. In 2015, Acumen was named one of Fast Company’s Top 10 Most Innovative Not-for-Profit Companies.
About Acumen America
Acumen America is a small team building an emerging portfolio for Acumen focused on tackling poverty in the United States. The Acumen America team is responsible for finding, vetting, and managing investments in game-changing social enterprises that serve the poor in our three portfolio sectors: financial inclusion, workforce development and healthcare.
About the Role - Portfolio Manager
The Portfolio Manager will evaluate new investment opportunities, conduct due diligence on high potential opportunities as they arise, and structure deal terms. You will use your finance and investing skills to evaluate the growth and return potential of social enterprises from both a financial and social impact perspective. You will also prepare analysis for presentation to Acumen’s Investment Committee.
This position is expected to be highly entrepreneurial and preferred candidates will be excited by and thrive in a start-up environment.
The Portfolio Manager will report to Associate Director Amon Anderson and require significant partnership with Catherine Casey Nanda, Director of Acumen America.
Your responsibilities will include…
- Identifying, cultivating, and reviewing a pipeline of fresh investment opportunities providing critical services to the poor in the United States.
- Conducting thorough due diligence and investment analysis, including financial modeling, valuation review and structuring.
- Preparing, presenting, and maintaining detailed and compelling investment documentation for Acumen’s Investment Committee and Board of Directors.
- Assessing portfolio company needs related to post investment support; designing and implementing post-investment management interventions.
- Designing and evaluating key metrics to measure the social and financial returns on investments.
- Developing long-term relationships with external stakeholders including funders, advisors, thought leaders, sector and functional experts to provide support across the portfolio.
- Analyzing metrics data to identify patterns, and channeling that data to outputs for marketing and fundraising efforts.
- Overseeing portfolio data systems to ensure accurate data on pipeline and portfolio under-management.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- 7-10 years of experience in venture capital, private equity, investment banking, or investment management;
- Bonus if experience with financial and operational due diligence of early stage businesses
- Superior financial, modeling and business analysis skills; demonstrated by prior experience.
- Familiarity with the social enterprise and impact investing sectors; demonstrated commitment to serving the poor is preferred.
- Strong ability to take initiative with research and analysis and produce valuable results in conditions of uncertainty.
- Solid operational skills including problem solving and project management skills, including ability to work and deliver projects independently, proactively and under pressure.
- Authorization to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis
WHO YOU ARE:
- An Adaptable Self-Motivator - You proactively take initiative. You thrive in ambiguity and handle fast-paced environments with ease, never missing a deadline nor losing your cool.
- A Creative Problem Solver – You’re industrious and a deep researcher. You can do a lot with a little. You’re persistent and resilient, and view roadblocks as simply new obstacles and puzzles to solve.
- An Inquisitive Detective - You’re unequivocally inquisitive. You’re always questioning, always probing, and never blindly accepting.
- A Clear & Active Communicator – You communicate exceptionally, both in writing and verbally. You build strong relationships quickly and possess a strong ability to present arguments and analysis in a clear and succinct manner.
- A Mission-Aligned Team Player - You’re fully committed to, and enthusiastic about, Acumen’s mission and business model. You practice our core values: generosity, accountability, humility, audacity, listening, leadership, integrity, and respect.
Think this is the right opportunity for you?
Please complete the following quick application. Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis; therefore we encourage you to submit yours soon, by Wednesday April 26th at the latest.
The application will be a 2-part process. If your background and experience align, you will be asked to complete a short-answer questionnaire designed to replace a cover letter.
If you have any questions about the role, please feel free to email us at email@example.com. We look forward to reading your application!